Friday, July 17, 2015

Dropsy in Wonderland

My fingers dropped a deck of cards
onto a broken step.
I bent to pick it up
and saw
a dozen other decks
They perched like birds about the yard -
my hair
stood up on end
my eyebrows arched in question marks
but I clutched my deck in hand.
I removed the cards
from their compact box
and oops
they all dropped out!
The cards flew down about like flocks

like waves of paper birds.
Not a dozen, now, but
a hundred decks 
of brand new playing cards.
Exploding from their boxes
in the breezes blowing
in the grasses glowing
whirling in circles,
dangling from twigs,
tucked along the curb,
somersaulting across the yard.
Well. What a challenge.
What a sight.
A hundred tens of spades float down
four hundred deuces bow -
a hundred jokers dance before
four hundred kings with crowns - 
But where's my six-of-diamonds?
Will I know
my jack-of-clubs?

how many little threes of hearts
will follow me around?

No comments:

Post a Comment