Monday, August 3, 2015

We're familiar with works of art like statues and paintings; sketches, macrame, mobiles, and music; poetry and pottery. Sometimes I find something outside of the usual categories of arts and crafts, something that is visually and physically appealing, but that was not created with artistic intention. The object that just came to mind (as I sat staring at the blank screen looking for ideas) was an old wrench. I bought it a few years ago at a pawn shop, some seven or eight inches of red painted steel, an automotive maintenance tool. Its weight was satisfying, and the wrench head on each end was precisely shaped, but smoothed and scarred from use. Despite that I had little practical use for it, I enjoyed its simple, pleasing shape, the balance of its weight, the soul that seemed imbedded within it.

Once during a walk, I found a small rounded rectangle of yellowed solid wood in the street. Yards of old fishline string was neatly wound around it. The wood was knicked and bruised and polished to a great smoothness making it very comfortable and satisfying to hold. I don't know if the object was designed for fishing or for kite-flying, but it was clear it had been treasured and used over and over again by someone across many years, again, imbedded with soul. I liked holding it. I liked the wrench and the wood sitting on my shelf, arousing cheer, harmony, and interest in those who saw and handled them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment