Wednesday, April 13, 2016

apple trees and Oz

The movie 'The Wizard of Oz' was broadcast once a year on television when I was a kid in the 1960s. It was a big event for children and grown-ups. Judy Garland plays the role of Dorothy, the little girl who, with her dog Toto, gets caught and injured in a tornado. The dream world she discovers while unconscious is colorful, and sometimes quite scary.

One scene has Dorothy and her new companions, the Lion, the Tin Man, and the Scarecrow, trekking through the woods on a journey to find the wizard who might help Dorothy and Toto return home to Kansas. They pick some apples in the woods, but the trees have mean faces and throw apples at the travelers who run away to keep from getting pelted.

I found that scene a little scary. But sometimes, now I'm grown-up, I think about how big and ancient those trees looked. Were they modeled after real apple trees? I wonder how those apples tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment